Skip to main content

The New Year Renews our Faith in Longview and East Texas (January 1, 1947)

Originally Published in The Longview Daily News on January 1, 1947.

It was last February when R. G. LeTourneau arrived in Longview with a pocket full of blueprints and a heart full of hope that Longview and East Texas would welcome and profit by his vast expansion program.


In the eleven months that followed, you have seen the rapid growth of the huge factory, the enrollment of the faculty and students of the LeTourneau Technical Institute of Texas---the recognition of the Institute as a full-fledge Junior College---the vee-hive of LeTourneau Earthmovers, Dozers, and Cranes in operation---the development and proving the startling Turnalayer, the concrete housemaking machine---and the growth of the housing project for LeTourneau employes.  It is a truly fantastic, but nevertheless, it has already proven to us that our faith in Longview and East Texas was well founded.


This is just the beginning.


R. G. LeTourneau Inc., and LeTourneau Technical Institute
wish greater Longview and East Texas a happy
and prosperous New Year.


R. G. LeTOURNEAU, INC
and
LeTOURNEAU TECHNICAL INSTITUTE OF TEXAS



R. G. LeTourneau

*******************************************************************************************************************
Resources

  • ā€œThe New Year Renews our Faith in Longview and East Texasā€, The Longview Daily News, Wednesday, January 1, 1947, Page 15.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mary C Womack High School

The historical marker and the area of the former Mary C Womack High School in Longview, Texas on May 21, 2022.  For full size resolution and additional pictures click here to access my Mary C Womack album.

Longview Opens Hotel Gregg

   With visitors in attendance from various parts of Texas and Louisiana, Longview recently held the official opening of its new $175,000  ($2,958,718 in 2022)  hostelry, the Hotel Gregg .  Dr. George S. Sexton, president of Centenary College, Shreveport, and Hubert M. Harrison, general manager of the East Texas Chamber of Commerce , were the principal speakers at a banquet for officers, directors and stockholders, held the first night.  A dance and buffet supper on the second night marked the official opening to the public.    The Hotel Gregg, owned by the Longview Hotel Company, is five stories in height and contains sixty-four rooms with bath, lobby, dining-room and cafeteria.  The structure is located next door to headquarters of the East Texas Chamber of Commerce.  It is operated by the North Louisiana Hotel Company, operators of the Washington-Youree Hotel in Shreveport.    Ashton Glassell of Shreveport was the contractor...

Hotel Longview

This building was Hotel Longview from 1947 - 1960.  You can see a section of the East Texas Chamber of Commerce Building to the far left and the silhouette of a section of the Bramlette Building to the far right. Click here  for more pictures of the downtown hotel on Jimmy's Flicker Albums.